Category: Sample preparation
Sub-category: Cryogenic work
Autoloader grid clipping.
You must complete all required safety training at the center you are visiting before hands on training. Coordinate this with the user office or training coordinator.
Relevant Training Modules (to review until you can pass the knowledge test):
- Why am I even doing this? Overview of getting your grid into a microscope: CryoEM-101, Chapter3, part 2
- See a demo of the workflow: Getting Started in CryoEM – Unit 2: Sample Preparation [Assembling autogrids, videos 21-24 of the unit 2 playlist]
- Step by step instructions by Jonathan Ipsaro: Cryo-EM Sample Preparation: Part II – Grid Clipping
- Practice on your own using a virtual instrument: CryoVR – Autogrid clipping module
SOP for grid clipping (for review before demonstration)
Vendor product information for reference
Autoloader compatible TEMs: TFS TEM product page.
The pass/fail knowledge assessment will test understanding of the following concepts:
- Why good clipping is important for your grids and the microscope
- The purpose of PPE for grid clipping
- Keeping your grids vitrified during clipping
- Determining if your grid is clipped properly
- ID tools used for grid clipping
Here is the current quiz version:
A workflow demonstration should be scheduled with center staff. The demonstration will cover all points of the SOP. You must have passed the knowledge quiz and reviewed the SOP before the demonstration.
Each center has additional specific Safety, Setup, and Shutdown procedures. Below, you will find those protocols for each center.
- PNCC Site Specific Procedures – Grid Clipping
- NCCAT Site Specific Procedures – Grid Clipping
- S2C2 Site Specific Procedures – Grid Clipping
Schedule your supervised practice with the user office or appointed user coordinator. This can be scheduled for the same session as the demonstration. During supervised practice, center staff will be present for the full duration of the session to provide feedback and answer questions with the goal that you can pass the practical test for independence with no assistance. The number of supervised practice sessions will be tailored to the user, and if necessary, more than one session can be scheduled before taking the practical test.
Center staff will assist in arranging time for access to the necessary equipment and testing for independence. The practical test can not be scheduled during the same session as supervised practice.
A grid clipping checklist will be used by the certifying staff to test for proper use of the instrument with a pass/fail outcome. All steps on the checklist must be performed to pass. You may use any instructions normally posted as a guide during the session.
- Sample preparation merit badges for cryogenic work are valid for 6 months.
- Recertification (to maintain active status) requires demonstrating proper use and care in front of a center staff member.