Vitrobot Standard Operating Procedure
Setting up, operating, and shutting down the ThermoFisher Scientific (TFS) Vitrobot Mark IV in a safe and effective manner for the preparation of frozen cryo-EM of samples
2.1 ThermoFisher Scientific (TFS) Vitrobot Mark IV is a vitrification device for freezing protein samples for CryoEM analysis.
2.2 Liquid Nitrogen (LN2) is a cryogenic liquid stored under pressure.
2.3 Ethane is classified as a flammable gas.
- PPE (BSL-1)
- Laboratory Coat
- Nitrile Gloves
- Goggles / Safety Glasses
- Cryogenic Gloves
- Face Mask
- Liquid Nitrogen
- 70% Ethanol
- Distilled Water
- Filter Paper (Pre-punched Whatman #1 or #541)
- Pipette and Tips
- Vitrobot Tweezers
- Glow Discharged / Plasma Cleaned EM Grids
- Grid Storage Boxes/Buttons
- Button Lid Tool (Screwdriver or TFS Pin Tool)
- LN2 Dewars for Transfer
- Forceps (fine tip and long tweezers)
- If BSL-2, place absorbent bench paper before starting work